Saturday, February 21, 2009

Update

It's 4:00 am and I'm completely awake. I've just spent the last hour sick to my stomach... which is entirely my fault but more on that later.
I had my follow-up with the new clinic today and it went really well. All of my tests came back normal and my diagnosis was "Fertile but unable to achieve Pregnancy after 7x IUI". She basically said there didn't seem to be a reason for me NOT to get pregnant so I guess you could say unexplained infertility? I'd prefer to say "lame ass doctor who fucked me over". Yes... I'm a bit angry. Just an FYI.
During our first appointment our new doctor (Dr. P) said that one thing she would have done differently with my last cycle was inseminate me a day earlier. It didn't really hit me last time what she'd said. This time however she went into detail and do you all remember THIS rant and THIS conclusion? The crying in the doctors office and begging to be inseminated the day before I actually was because the lab techs kept telling me I was ovulating? Well it certainly hit me today and I was almost back to those same tears!! Dr. P said that she could tell by my estrogen and Progesterone levels that I had ovulated before my first insemination and she's almost certain my 2.4 follicle on the day of the insemination was actually a cyst leftover from releasing the egg. I should add that I mentioned NOTHING about my freak out and what I had suspected on my own!!! She also said that the second insemination at 54 hours post surge according to my old clinic and 78 hours post surge based on her opinion was a complete waste!!!!! Possibly ALL of my second inseminations were done too late to be of any use! That is a couple thousand (if not more) in wasted sperm!! She also said that the Ovidrel was poorly timed!! DUH.. I can reference a few of my rants to that effect as well. Is she reading my blog??
My new protocol will be to trigger me as soon as I reach around 2.0 and my estrogen is high enough. This will ensure my insemination is timed well. She agrees that my LH surge is hard to read and that going from a 4 to a 7 for me is considered a surge. She called me a "fast ovulater" and hopes that using the trigger will help. Needless to say that is what I told my previous doctor and the reason I wanted Ovidrel in the first place!!! I'm so happy Dr. P recognized this without me telling her to look at it! I'm also sticking to 100 mg of clomid since it produces good results for me with no side effects. She had mentioned doing injectables but I've opted to stick with 2-3 more Clomid cycles with the ovidrel and better timing and once at 9-10 failed attempts we'll move DIRECTLY into IVF. I'm not going to waste my money on injectables. Let's just get this over with!!
Anyhoo... back to the sick stomach. It was NOT about this even though it could have been! Today has been interesting.. to say the least. On my way to work from my appointment I picked up 8 cupcakes for my 8 team members. A farewell gift to them on my last day. When I got to work we all decided to go out to lunch to celebrate. We ended up at this great Indian restaurant where we ate/drank (I didn't drink - damn metformin) and had a good time for a long 2 hour lunch! Afterward, we ended up at the pub across the street. Needless to say I did no work and there was no time for cupcakes. Apparently my coworkers prefer beer, not sweets!
After all of this I had plans with D to meet up and go to Structube which is a furniture store. We are looking for a new media stand. Unfortunately I had spent the afternoon in a pub drinking water and my bladder was hating me for it. After we looked around the store I HAD to find a restroom (and quickly) however knowing the area well, I knew it was not going to be easy. That's when D talked me into going to DUFF'S for buffalo wings. At this point I knew I could not eat anything else. My stomach was still full of Channa Masala yet the lure of the Duff's toilet was enough to make me agree. This is when I really did something stupid!! D ordered wings and I ate some - Medium Hot. Then when we got home I had a cupcake! So Channa Masala (Medium) + Wings (Medium-Hot) + Cupcakes = PUKING at 3:00 am. I even knew it when I was eating the wings. I said to D... I'm going to pay for this later and I have!
Final thought...I can't believe this was my last day! I don't think it has fully hit me yet!! People kept asking me if I was nervous or excited and I thought it was such a weird question.. but OMG... I no longer work in Operations... I've been there 7 years! On Monday I have a new VP, Director, Manager and TEAM. YIKES... !!!!

4 comments:

  1. Stacey posting...

    Change is always scary but I'm sure all will go well. :)

    I'm glad the new doctor seems to be waaaay better. I remember when we were talking about 2 IUIs and I said my doctor did different timing. It sounds like your doctor was a little messed. I would also question a 2.4 follicle as I usually had a 1.8 the day of my surge and did the IUI the next day. I think 2.0 is the ideal size, you're right. Are you still going to do 2 IUIs or just 1? I ask because we did 1 and our doctor didn't see any stats that showed doing 2 when performing IUIs was more beneficial than 1. She said with ICI she found that it made a bit of a difference but not IUI. I wondered what your new doctor thought--if maybe all you need is the better timing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that you were up sick at 3 AM.

    I am so glad that you found a new doctor who not only appears to have a clue, but is in total sync with your own instincts about your body. This will totally work for you now!!

    As for work, I have been in my co. for 12 years and have made almost the same switch you are describing. It's scary & exciting all at once. Congratulations though it's wonderful to move forward and have a whole field of new opportunity to grab on to.

    I am so glad that everything seems to be coming together for you at this point (that was my 2008 and look where we are now!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. KM - Thanks! I'm praying that all of these changes will be my golden ticket. I've put myself in a situation where getting pregnant would be inconvenient so I'm really hoping i get to say: "isn't it ironic?"!!!

    Stacey - we're only going to do one insemination moving forward. I got it in my head that I needed the second because the Dr. who was doing the majority of my IUI was a supporter of it. He made me regretful of not doing it so after my 3rd try we added it. Also, my cycle buddy from BBC my first try got pregnant her first try. She was going on and on about 2 IUI and I still felt guilty about not trying harder months later. I think I'm finally ready to give that up now that I know how much time and money we've wasted!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the new job and the new RE. Wow - your old one sounds like a clueless idiot - so glad you found the new one. Hope the timing works this time now you have someone who understands your cycle.
    SOrry about the food - sounds like a nightmare to me - do you have to eat somewhere to go pee? That sucks? Where do you live?
    I am really good at sneaking into places though.
    FX for your next cycle and upcoming ironic pregnancy!:)

    ReplyDelete