Saturday, February 7, 2009

Fate

I know that a lot of people TTC have the opinion that there is no such thing as fate when it comes to making babies and that "everything happens for a reason" is a load of crap.
I've felt that way too but the events over the last month and a half have really changed my attitude. Maybe things do happen for a reason?
The end of this story is how I start my new job on February 20th...
The beginning of this story is how I gave up a job in June 2008 because of TTC.
I have had some regret over saying no to that job because it was a way into the IT department of my company. It was a QA Analyst role with some BSA work on the side. Loads of overtime was guaranteed however what it lacked was the flexibility and freedom I was used to. Ultimately I didn't like the idea of having a set schedule (or shift) and OT was not going to be an option. I didn't think this would work well with TTC and I also didn't think it would be fair to get pregnant and leave 9 months later.
Fast forward.... 7 months... still not pregnant and the beginning of a new year... having just come off of my 7th try after a 4 month break I decided to stop living life thinking I was going to be pregnant anytime soon. This is when the posting for a position goes up that is a perfect fit for me. I'd be still doing the same job - just being paid more! I wasn't entirely thrilled by the idea of giving up my projects but we (D and I) decided that giving up another job opportunity would be stupid.
Coincidentally the position I applied for was under the same director as the QA position I declined. When he found out I was "available" he told the manager that had offered me the position in June. Instead of another QA position he offered me (pretty much on the spot, no interview required) a role as a Business Systems Analyst/Project Manager for IT. Score!!!!! That's exactly what I wanted!
Now, back to fate... I'm glad I turned down the QA position back in June because there is no guarantee this new and better role would still have been offered. In fact, the "BSA work on the side" probably would have meant I'd be doing BSA work indefinitely without the title.
Further... had I become pregnant within the last 7 months I would have left on maternity leave from my current role and would have never had this opportunity.
It absolutely SUCKS to say that I'm not pregnant after all of this time but I am very happy that I've landed a great position. It really did fall into place because of TTC and not getting pregnant when I wanted to!!! After all, mat leave is only 1 year and I do want to go back to a job I love. Not to mention getting paid more will help with upcoming daycare costs, etc.

That all said... I'm going to get pregnant on my next cycle. I just know it! Maybe the time is finally right....

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on officially having the new job!!! So glad things are going your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey--where are you????? miss your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story. Congrats on the new posistion. Nothing good luck to bring hope back.

    ReplyDelete