Last week was a hard week. Sadie was a beast (which I did complain about) and apparently, sick. Oops.
We ended up taking her to the doctor and found out she'd probably been sick for at least 7 days already. What we thought was exhaustion from terrible behaviour and her 5th molar coming in (or possibly a small cold) was likely the result of a virus. Ultimately it was when she stuck her finger in her ear, wiggled it and said "uh oh" that we decided to get her checked.
Ear infection.
The biggest parenting fail about this is that this isn't the first time she's done the ear wiggle thing. It was just the first time she's said something about it. The wiggling has always been in the same ear so I wonder if it's been recurring and untreaded due to dumb parents?
Double oops.
I guess it's good that Sadie is a little trooper when it comes to illness but it does make it hard for us to know she is unwell (or how sick she really is).
Other people have kids like this too, right? I mean, even when Sadie had the Chicken Pox it didn't phase her at ALL. I guess I'm going to have to be more careful with a runny nose!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
We didn't know Curly had an ear infection once until after his ear drum had ruptured and leaked all over his crib sheet (it's not as bad as it sounds). He just didn't really have nay signs. Don't feel bad. He recovered just fine and so will she.
ReplyDeleteEar infections are hard to figure out most times. Riley is 4 so she said her ear hurt and so we knew but before then, we would just take her with a persistant fever/cold and sometimes they'd say, "Oh yeah, she also has an ear infection."
ReplyDeleteI don't consider not knowing a parenting fail. I wait to take the kids in because if you take them too early--it could be too soon to detect anything or it could just be a virus that you have to ride out.
You're too hard on yourself. You're doing just fine from what I can tell.
It's hard when they are still not able to communicate well. Don't beat yourself up, Mama. Hope she is feeling better soon!
ReplyDeleteKim took Erik to urgent care once and came home with a whole bag full of medication for things we had no idea were wrong. It happens. Especially when they don't complain. You're a great parent so don't beat yourself up.
ReplyDelete