Friday, July 2, 2010

Home

We're in our new house now and fairly decently unpacked. Closing was hell because we had an awful lawyer!! They asked us to come back from Quebec early so we could sign paperwork on Friday (25th) for our closing on Monday (28th) but after sending 4 e-mails and calling they hadn't provided us with an appointment. We had to change our hotel reservation, find a place to stay back in Ontario and drive back early. Fortunately we didn't rush. We left Quebec Thursday morning but spent the night in Kingston, Ontario. We showed up at the Lawyers at 2:00 pm on Friday and they told us to come back Monday!! Um.. no!! We were eventually called in to sign at 6:00 pm. Thank god we waited it out because they had the wrong mortgage instructions and had we waited until Monday we could have missed closing.
That isn't even the worst of it!! Monday was no different. We had to have the mortage instructions faxed 4x before they got them and then they told us to pick up our keys at another law office which was neither in the same city as theirs nor in the same city as the house we bought! To make it even better I asked for our cheque (money leftover in our trust account) and they had no idea what I was talking about. After I reminded them of the 27k they owed us we were told to come back later in the week because they were "too busy". What?? I need to follow-up today because we need that money!
Sigh.
We have renos coming up so the chaos isnt over quite yet but at least I'm in my own bed. The wiring in this place is shit and is being replaced. It's both aluminum and a DIY disaster (we have more than one open junction box). Included in that mess are cable lines that will not support digital cable and right now I'm without wifi - therefore I'm unable to upload photos until I unpack a LAN cable.
Has anyone else bought a "fixer uper" cause right now I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed by it all! I keep asking myself if this house was worth all the hassle and money? The truth is that we did rush into buying it but we were looking for something very specific (in-law suite with private entrance) and this house had it. The previous houses we'd seen with in-law suites were awful and the seperate entrance was hard to find. This place is great because it has an interior and exterior entrance, the apartment is huge with two bedrooms and an eat-in kitchen. More on why we needed the in-law suite to come in a future entry - one I've been avoiding!
We also loved the house because it's in an older, well established neighbourhood with mature trees. We're within walking distance to the elementary-high school, public library and swimming pool. A lot can be said about that because we are now in commuter-ville where a car is essential and school buses are the norm. I'm happy Sadie will not need a school bus, will be able to walk places and not always need to be driven. The shopping in the area is also insane. People had said we'd miss Toronto because we'd find it boring here but there is so much to do and we're only a 30 minute drive from downtown Toronto. I think I'll miss my parking spot more than the condo!!
Speaking of the condo, it's so funny how much bigger our house is!! That may sound like a stupid statement (of course we bought bigger) but we didn't really realize how little space we had until we saw our stuff in the new place. Our smallest bedroom is still much bigger than our master in the condo. We literally couldn't walk around the bed there!! Even Sadies room is double the size. Her dresser no longer needs to be in her closet!
Picture post coming soon!!


-- Post From My iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're moved in. Sorry about the stupid lawyers. Wow 27k? Did you make a good profit on your last place?

    We did home renos which were not fun--being without a kitchen for a month. But it was oh so worth it. You get to do things the way you like but you get the character and charm of an older house and neighbourhood. Can't wait to see pics. And really curious about the in-law suite? Your mom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great meeting you guys last night!

    ReplyDelete