We're over downtown and we're ready to move. We're going suburban!!
This has been an agonizing decision to make because we love Toronto. We used to dream about raising children here but now that we have a child it doesn't feel right. The reality is that we can't afford a home in a neighbourhood that meets our needs. Toronto is just too freakin' expensive and the real estate market is so cut throat. We don't want to spend half a million dollars on a shitty house in an "up and coming" neighbourhood.
Unless we win the lottery the plan has been set in motion! We've contacted our real estate agent and a mortgage broker! We had previously been told that my mat-leave pay would decrease our mortgage but that was wrong (thank you Angele!) so we do not need to wait until the new year. We're going to take our time and focus on a closing date in the fall.
I'm not sad about this at all however I do not want to put down Toronto. It's a GREAT city with a lot to offer. I think that living as far downtown as we live has worn us out! Although we feel safe in our complex and on our street it's not the same for the general area. We went for a walk the other day and saw a drug deal in a playground and last week D was run down the street by a drunken bum calling her a "whore" and "cunt" for not giving him money!!!
I can't wait to start looking at houses!!!
I hear ya. When you have kids your priorities change and things you loved before may not seem so hot now. Suburbia is nice. I like it but then again, I got tired of living downtown. It's nice to visit downtown easily enough though.
ReplyDeleteWhich direction are you thinking about? Out East where we are is much cheaper than West. North isn't bad either, I think. :)
Loans can discriminate against a person on mat leave but not mortgages, as Angele told you. We moved when Jackson was only 3 months old.
How exciting! We have also been talking about possibly relocating in the next few years. Los Angeles is a bit much with kids... Keep us posted on the house hunt!
ReplyDeleteHouse hunting is so much fun! It sounds like it makes total sense to move to the 'burbs. We're thinking about it too, within the next few years. We love Chicago, but we'd also love a little more space.
ReplyDeleteOhh I'm jealous!! I'm ready to move to the burbs, but I haven't gotten my partner on board yet. Keep us posted on the house hunt!
ReplyDeleteVery exciting. I say you should move east. :) It is much cheaper out this way.
ReplyDeleteI want to move too. I want to stay where we are but think we need a bigger house. Kim seems to think we can make this one work. Hot topic of discussion around here. :)
Good luck! Jealous here too! how long will the commute be? That's my biggest fear! Can't wait to hear all about it!
ReplyDeleteShannon, I hear Ajax is nice. ;) Hint hint.
ReplyDeleteWe'd love to move too! Where we live is so darn expensive! We just can't see taking Ryan away from his family, everyone lives here.
ReplyDeleteWe are in the process of looking for a house right now as well. It's so tough. We are in a one bedroom apartment and want the little guy to have his own room and a yard!! If only money would fall out of the sky...
ReplyDelete